History & Photo Gallery
The Nigg/Cromarty ferry route is often referred to as the ‘The King’s Ferry’ – the route taken by King James IV of Scotland when on pilgramage to the shrine of St Duthac at Tain, doing so at least 18 times in the years between 1493 to 1513.
The area also has a rich modern history, being of critical military and naval importance in both world wars, and more recently, the location for very substantial work in building and maintaining equipment for north sea oil development.
In the Cromarty Firth
The Cromarty Ferry crossing the firth.
The Cromarty Ferry at Cromarty slipway.
Little and Large
The Cromarty Ferry passing one of the liners that often visits the firth.
Landing at Nigg
The Cromarty Ferry lands at the Nigg side of the firth.